Frequently asked questions for current students

We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions below. If you don’t see the answer to your question, come visit the Academic Support Center in 115 Deering Hall and we can help you! We can also be reached at or 207-581-3206. 

Peer mentors are available to teach you Mainestreet functions (e.g. setting up a wishlist/shopping cart, creating your planner), assist with time management strategies, and more. Please email for questions and more information. 


What resources are available to help me with registration?

The University of Maine System has created a Knowledge Base with a number of helpful articles and videos that address frequently asked registration questions. Topics include:

How do I register for classes in the new Student Center?

How do I drop a class?

How can I put myself on a wait list for a class, or view my position on a wait list?

What is the Planner and what does it do?

The UMaine Office of Student Records has a helpful Enrollment Checklist that can help you prepare for registration and also troubleshoot registration problems.

Who do I talk to about a hold on my account?

Please visit Student Records for detailed information on the different types of enrollment holds and how to resolve them.

Where do I find my PIN for course registration?

Students must contact their advisor to select their course schedule and receive a PIN. Once you have met with your advisor, they will typically validate your wishlist thereby activating your PIN. For problems or additional information, contact the Associate Dean’s Office by calling 581.3206, email, or visit Deering Hall, Room 115.

How do I drop or withdraw from classes?

Students can drop courses using Mainestreet within the first 10 days of classes. Dropping courses after this date will require the Course Add/Drop Request form with approval from the student’s advisor or their program coordinator, and by the Associate Dean.  Students should consult the Academic Calendar for the various drop deadlines and their implications for student billing and transcripts.

Students that wish to withdraw from the University of Maine (i.e. drop all classes), should first consult with their program coordinator and contact the Academic Support Center by emailing, calling 581.3206 or visiting Deering Hall, Room 115.

What does it mean if I’m put on a course wait list? Should I enroll in a different course or continue to wait?

Wait list procedures can be found at Student Records.  A student’s decision to remain on the waitlist or enroll in a different course is determined by a number of factors including position on the waitlist and the particular course(s). We recommend that students consult with the instructor and/or department offering the course for guidance.

If I register for less than 15 credits for the spring or fall semester, what will happen to my financial aid?

While University policies indicate that students registered for 12 or more credits per semester are considered full-time, enrolling in less than 15 credits may impact a student’s financial aid. Students should consult with Student Financial Aid before enrolling in less than 15 credits to see how this decision would impact their financial aid award.

Where can I find out if credits taken elsewhere transfer to UMaine?

For courses that you have already taken, consult your Transfer Credit Report (visible from your Mainestreet Student Center) to see how and if the course has transferred to UMaine. Any questions on how the course(s) may satisfy degree requirements should be directed to the student’s advisor.

For courses to be taken, students can use the Transfer Equivalency Tool to determine if courses offered elsewhere will be eligible for UMaine credit. Students need to receive prior approval from their advisor before taking courses at another institution via the Domestic Study Away form.

What Gen Eds should I take?

UMaine requires that all students have a broad foundation in the liberal arts and sciences, regardless of their academic major.  Some of your General Education requirements will likely be fulfilled by your degree program. We recommend that students coordinate GenEd choices with their advisor, and monitor their Degree Progress Report for successful completion of these requirements. The Gen Ed Requirements worksheet also comes in handy for tracking completion of GenEd courses. For a full listing of courses that satisfy General Education requirements, visit the Student Records web site.

In what order should I take my courses?

Students should meet at least once a semester with their Academic Advisor for guidance on course selection and sequence. Your academic program’s website and description in the Undergraduate Catalog may also have resources that describe suggested course sequences.

How do I get permission to take a course if I don’t meet the prerequisite?

Students will need to speak to the course instructor and receive written permission (in the form of an email or a signature on an Add/Drop form.)  Students should also speak with their advisor to make sure that taking the course without meeting the prerequisite(s) is appropriate for his/her circumstances. Once permission to register for the course is granted, students should forward a registration request with their student ID, instructor permission to their academic program office, or to the Academic Support Center.

I have a course conflict(s). Can I substitute courses into the curriculum?

In some circumstances, students may need to find a substitute for a required course. All students need to receive advisor permission before registering for courses not listed in their curriculum. They will also need to submit a degree progress student exception form and have the form signed by their advisor and by their undergraduate program coordinator.


Who is my advisor?

Students’ advisor(s) will be listed on their MaineStreet Student Service Center homepage, in addition to their Navigate homepage. Some students may have more than one advisor listed on MaineStreet and Navigate. If you are unsure of who to speak with, start with the advisor associated with your primary major or contact the Academic Support Center and will point you in the right direction.

When should I meet with my advisor?

It’s never a bad time to schedule a meeting with your advisor if you have any questions. It is especially important to meet with your advisor to discuss your long term goals for college, your class schedule, and during the enrollment season, to receive your enrollment PIN.

Why should I meet with my advisor?

Your advisor will help you with a wide variety of aspects of your undergraduate plan. They will help you plan an academic program in line with your interests and abilities, along with monitor and evaluate their academic progress. Advisors will also help students understand University policies and procedures.

How do I change my major?

Students interested in switching to a major in the College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture are encouraged to explore the curriculum — in the Undergraduate Catalog or the program’s website — to learn more about our program requirements. After investigating the requirements, students will need to meet with the undergraduate program coordinator for that major.


Am I eligible for any scholarship opportunities?

As a University of Maine student, ScholarshipUniverse, a scholarship-matching platform, can connect new and continuing students with UMaine and private/outside scholarships. Information about Scholarship Universe can be found at Student Financial Aid. 

Please contact your academic program to inquire about departmental scholarships. Returning and continuing students can apply for college scholarships through Scholarship Universe each spring for the next academic year. Visit our scholarship page to find more information about applying to college scholarships. 

I’m interested in attending a conference. How do I find funding and scholarships so that I can attend?

The Honors College has a number of scholarship and fellowship opportunities for student travel. Finally, some conferences provide discounts on lodging and registration fees in exchange for work. Students can also explore scholarship opportunities on the Office of Major Scholarships website. 

Job and career opportunities

What careers are available in my major?

Students should speak with their academic advisor or program coordinator to learn more about career opportunities. We encourage students to visit the Career Center early and often. 

Where can I find internships related to my major?

Students can search for internships through CareerLink and on the Internship Information page on the Career Center’s website. The Career Center staff is also available to meet with you to talk about finding and applying for internships. You can schedule an appointment with a Career Counselor by emailing or calling 207.581.1359. We also strongly  encourage students to go to their major’s website for potential internship opportunities as well. 

Study abroad

Where can I learn about study abroad opportunities?

There are many study abroad opportunities available for students. It is a good idea to start researching your options and discuss your plans with your academic advisor early on. More information can be found on the UMaine Study Abroad Office website. Be sure to check out their annual Study Abroad Fair that is typically held early in the spring semester.  If you don’t see a program you are interested in listed on the Study Abroad website, you can petition the Study Abroad Office to have this program approved for participation.

If I study abroad for a semester, will that add an extra semester before I can graduate?

For the vast majority of students, studying abroad would not add an extra semester if it is planned well in advance. For more information, visit the UMaine Study Abroad website, or contact your advisor.