Math Placement Test – ALEKS
Most new students need to take the math placement test using ALEKS PPL – a web-based program that uses artificial intelligence to map a student’s strengths and weaknesses. If you have questions about whether or not you need to take the math placement test, contact your program coordinator. Exceptions include:
- Students that scored 670 or higher on the Math SAT and students that scored 29 or higher on the ACT can be enrolled in any math class up to MAT 126 (Calculus I)
- Students with transfer credits that are equivalent to UMaine math classes. For example, if you had a class that transfers to UMaine as MAT 111 with a grade of C or better then you can take MAT 116 or MAT 122 and do not need to take the placement exam to do so.
- Students that scored a 3 or higher on AP Calculus AB or AP Calculus BC
- Social Work students
- Communication Sciences and Disorders students
Important facts about the ALEKS math placement test
- The math placement exam is available to all students that have committed to UMaine, paid their deposit, and activated their University of Maine System ID and password.
- Students can take the test up to three times.
- Students have up to three hours to complete the exam. Most students complete the exam in 60-90 minutes.
- Each test comes with a Prep and Learning module that is customized for each student. Students must spend at least five hours in the learning modules before retaking the exam for the second and third time. Up to 20 hours may be needed for some students. Students that spend the time in the learning modules often increase their score significantly.
- Once a student clicks “start” to access their learning module, they have access to the module for 12 months. It is important for students to take the time to use the modules and retake the exams (if necessary) within that 12 month period.
- If students would like to request access to the exam after the 12 month period is over, they should contact UMaine IT at email@example.com.
To take the ALEKS PPL Placement Exam, wait 24 hours after activating your UMS account and then:
- Step 1: Navigate to this link (https://redirector.apps.maine.edu/mathplacement) and login with your University Single Sign-On credentials. Select the Math Placement Exam for University of Maine (if not automatically redirected)
- Step 3: Your account is now linked/paired to ALEKS. Click on “Continue”.
- Step 4: Follow the First Time Use Experience guide on the site. Complete the Survey (if required)
- Step 5: Complete the Tools Tutorial (if necessary).
- Step 6: Install the Respondus Browser (https://www.aleks.com/support/lockdown_system_requirements). Note that the Respondus Browser will not work on Chromebooks. For assistance installing the Respondus Browser, visit: https://mhedu.force.com/aleks/s/alekscontactsupport
- You may Begin the ALEKS Placement Assessment.
Course placement at UMaine is determined as follows:
|76 or higher||MAT 126: Calculus 1|
|61 or higher||MAT 116: Introduction to Calculus, MAT 122: Pre-Calculus|
|30 or higher||MAT 111: Algebra for College Mathematics|
Where can students get help with ALEKS?
- For information regarding ALEKS system requirements visit the ALEKS Troubleshooting page
- For help with the ALEKS math placement exam, contact ALEKS Customer Support
- If a student has waited longer than 12 months to complete all three attempts of the math placement exam, and are “locked out” of the exam, they can contact UMaine IT.