New faculty: Julia McGuire

The College of Natural Sciences, Forestry, and Agriculture brought a wealth of experience and expertise to its community when it welcomed new faculty this fall. Over the next few months we will feature new faculty to help you get acquainted with these new members of our community.

Please join us in welcoming Julia McGuire as a faculty member to the School of Biology and Ecology!

julia mcguire faculty sbeTitle
Lecturer in Biology

Highest Degree
PhD in Ecology and Environmental Sciences, University of Maine

Specialty/Research Area
Education Research, Food Systems Sustainability, and other human-environment sustainability questions, such as public perceptions of biorefineries in Maine

When did you discover a passion for your specialty? 
My passion for biology (science) education came from a childhood mentor, Marilyn Noyes Mollicone who was a naturalist with the Augusta Natural History Education Association Nature Camp, and returned to UMaine as a Master’s student at the age of 58. She was also recently honored for her work as an environmental educator and community naturalist.

At UMaine, mentors like Mark Anderson (Senior Instructor Emeritus, School of Economics) and Dr. Jessica Leahy (Professor, School of Forest Resources) demonstrated true dedication to student learning that I greatly admire. I learned the value in taking a creative, evidence-based approach to student learning, and how to build undergraduate research opportunities into a research program.

Why UMaine?
Easy, it’s the college of my heart always (my undergrad degree is from UMaine too)! I am so happy to join this wonderful community of dedicated educators and researchers as a faculty member.

What do you look forward to in the coming year?
Learning from my new colleagues in the School of Biology and Ecology and from the students, Maine Learning Assistants (MLAs), and TAs that I will be working closely with in the Introductory Biology Sequence! It’s a great feeling to have come full circle from UMaine student to UMaine educator and have the opportunity to give back.